Simple Ways to Balance Your Life Day by Day
Marie Kay, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Feb 1, 2010
"Keeping your life in balance may seem like a constant struggle. You feel like you are being pulled in all directions, and feel pressured to be everything to everyone. The key to finding balance in your life is to develop some positive habits that will allow you to feel less overwhelmed, and more in control. Work to add the following activities into your day, until they become part of your regular routine.
1) Exercise - Any physical activity that you can incorporate into your day is beneficial. A 20 minute brisk walk around the neighborhood will boost your energy and leave you feeling invigorated. You can also make small changes throughout your day, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking your car further from a building's entrance and walking the extra distance.
2) Practice quiet time - During this time, you should be alone with no distractions. Use this time for meditation, deep breathing, or simply a time of silence to quiet your inner voice and clear your mind. Quiet time alone is necessary in order to relax and recharge, and will ultimately help you to function better throughout the day.
3) Eat mindfully - The foods you consume throughout the day have a major impact on your health and well-being. Stress can cause you to binge on junk food, or to rush through your meals without giving much thought to nutrician or portion size. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your daily menu, and take a multi-vitamin every day.
4) Sleep - Most people need 7-9 hours of sleep per night in order to function properly during the day. That number may seem unrealistic with today's busy lifestyles, but even a small change, such as going to bed 30 minutes earlier than usual, can have a big impact on your body and your health. Don't underestimate the importance of a full night of sleep, and make your sleep a priority in you life.
5) Exhibit kindness - Something as simple as a smile or a kind word can encourage someone else, as well as improve your own state of mind. Be mindful of the world around you, and offer kindness to others on a daily basis.
6) Spend time with those you love - Take time to play with the kids, or have lunch with an old friend. Being with friends and family is good for the soul. Enjoy laughter and good times with those who are most important in your life.
Developing a habit takes time and effort, but if you work to put these actions into practice, your persistence will pay off with a new found balance in every area of your life."